Thursday, August 9, 2012

sitting in starbucks bumming internet

So much has happened since I last posted, I don't even know where to begin!  I've welcomed the corps to City Year, moved into my house, been to Orlando TWICE for City Year trainings, booked plane tickets to Hawaii, and most of all, settled into Jacksonville more and more each day.

So, let's start with welcoming the corps.  They're awesome.  It actually feels like City Year now that we have more than eight people.  Plus, we've been renting a conference room at a hotel so we aren't just working out of the library.  I had this realization the other day as we were sitting in a training.  I realized that when I think of City Year the organization, I think of HQ in Boston with 200 people in the Civic Forum, but for these CMs, they think of the 20 of us sitting in the hotel conference room and they LOVE IT.  A bunch of them have told me that they know that this is where they're supposed to be.  It's so cool to think that somehow, despite not having an office or really knowing what we were supposed to be doing, we somehow made that for them.  It was the coolest moment so far.

Next, moving into my house.  Today marks one week of living at our house.  We don't have much in it, but thanks to Anna and Mike, we now have a TV and will soon have a couch. Last weekend, Quinci, Joe and I went to the thrift stores and are now the proud owners of a table, three chairs, a toaster and a microwave. We still have a long way to go in filling the house, but we're getting there slowly but surely.  I still need a lot of furniture for my room, but I have a real bed, which is more than the guys can say. :)

Third, City Year JAX travelled to Orlando twice this past week for trainings with their site.  ORlando is in it's "Founding Year" which means they did what Jacksonville is doing this year.  We're hopefully going to be training with them a lot this year because it's fun to have 100 CY people together and engaging in the same culture pieces and craziness.  Plus, I feel like our corps is missing out on some things by not having a big corps.  The first time we went to Orlando, Charlie Rose, the Dean of City Year and one of the most inspirational people I've ever met, came and led us in a lot of team building activities. We had a discussion about privilege, did an activity called the Privilege Line and then did Stand Up, Sit Down, all which helped to get to know each other on a deeper level.  I love things like that because you get to hear people's story.  It was awesome.  The second time we went, we found out our teams, which was super exciting.  I love my team! There are seven CMs, Quinci and I, and then Ashlee our PM all serving at the high school.  I think they'll all be awesome team mates and great corps members.  We start in school on Monday, which is a week before school officially starts.  We're going to be doing professional development with the teachers all week and helping out with 9th grade orientation on Friday. I cannot wait to be back in school! eeeekkk!!

Fourth, plane tickets have been booked for September 7th to visit this boy I like in Hawaii. :)  I'll be there until the 10th when I fly home over night and return on the 11th. :)

And last, I am settling in. I don't love it yet, but I like it.  Anna and Mike are leaving next Friday (a week from tomorrow) to move across country, which makes me so sad, but I think I'm settling in and learning to handle Jacksonville.  I don't love it and don't really plan on staying here much longer than 10 months, but I can definitely make it 10 months without going crazy. Thank you again EVERYONE who has texted, called, sent letters/packages, and checked in on me.  It means the world to me to know that I have such a large support system out there. So, thank you.  :)

Also, speaking of Miss Anna, she has a birthday tomorrow and I can't think of someone who deserves a better birthday than she does.  She has been an amazing friend this past month and the past five years and I am truly blessed to call her my best friend.  I love you so much and cannot wait to celebrate next week :)

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. Margaret Lee Runbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment