Thursday, September 6, 2012

the week in review

Well, this work week was short and sweet.   It was only three days long, but each day was better and better.  I could definitely get used to having Monday and Friday off each week.  I guess a girl can dream....

Anyways, Tuesday was my first day at the office and I loved it! After being in a classroom where there's never a dull moment, it's nice to be in the office where you can put in your headphones and just get stuff done on your own schedule.  There wasn't a ton for me to do, but it actually was really productive. I made the first Weekly Briefing EVER in City Year Jacksonville history (another cool perk of doing startup) and met with Jay (the Startup Director) and Joe about defining the Project Leader role. We decided on specific tasks for Joe and I (and Adrienne once she gets settled) to work on. I'm going to be running the social media for City Year Jacksonville, which is kind of cool.  Follow us on Twitter (@CityYearJAX) and Like us on Facebook!  Hopefully by Christmas we will have a blog up and going, which I'll be REALLY excited about! Being at the office will be just as busy as school is, but hopefully not quite as taxing.

Wednesday was my first day at school this week and it was pretty uneventful.  It was an early release day (every other Wednesday is), but that just meant an extra long staff meeting. I had a flat tire that I got on my way to work or probably before, so I spent the afternoon kind of dealing with that in between the release of school and the meeting. Luckily, it was a quick fix and just needed a patch, so nothing too extravagant.

Today was a normal day at school, but it was a really good day. I can't quite pinpoint it (maybe it was because I was having a good hair day), but for some reason, I felt like today was a good day.  I think the students are really starting to like me (not trust me so much, but they like me) and I feel comfortable helping them with classwork. I even had a student come eat lunch with me. He saw me in the City Year office during lunch on his way to the bathroom and stopped by.  It was a lot of fun. I really hope more students come and stop by during lunch because it's such a great way to get to know them. They are such interesting and inspirational people if you can get to know them. Their life experiences baffle my minds.  From living in group homes to experiencing sexual assaults, from having the traditional family to having no family at all, they are such complex and motivating people that just take a little bit more time and encouragement than some of their peers.

I can't believe I can say this, but this time tomorrow I'll be landing in Hawaii!! It'll be about 1pm there, so I'll have basically all afternoon to sleep. I can't wait to be there and see Mike!  I feel like we've all been talking about this for forever and I'm so excited to finally be there.

Last, I don't know how many of you have been watching the Democratic National Convention this week. I haven't watched a lot of it, but I did manage to catch the First Lady's address.  Let. Me. Tell. You. WHAT A WOMAN!! She is quickly moving up on my list of inspirational women and I definitely don't hate it! I think someone on facebook said it perfectly when they said "I'll vote for Barack just because he was smart enough to marry Michelle #obama2012" I couldn't have said it better myself.  Also, governor Duval Patrick mentioned a school that City Year served at last year which was super cool.  Finally, one of City Year's culture pieces is this call and response...."City Year, how are you feeling?" and you respond "FIRED UP!"  Well, it looks like President Obama is feeling pretty fired up and I am too!  Check out this video!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWDFgRfi1Q&feature=plcp


Have a great weekend everyone! Aloha!

"Success isn't about how much money you make, it's about the difference you make in people's lives."
-Michelle Obama



Couldn't have said it better myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment