Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Turkish Lessons: Round Two

I started Turkish lessons again yesterday.  I took four weeks of Turkish lessons when I arrived (here), but it didn't go that well and I ended up just being frustrated after every class and definitely didn't feel confident enough to speak and practice.  My teacher didn't speak that much English and I had a hard time with the vocabulary.  Plus, there was only one other girl in my class, who's father was Turkish and she already knew a little Turkish, so it just wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Mike had been taking Turkish lessons every day and I definitely wanted to get back into them. We tried to sign me up for a class that only met three times a week, but that didn't work out., so I decided to take lessons at the same school as Mike, even though they met every day.

Yesterday was my first day and I was shocked to see how many people were in the class. Today, we had fourteen people from all around the world.  There are three Russians, two Ukranians, two Syrians, two Italians, a German, a French man, a Saudi, a Palestinian and me!   Most of the people know random Turkish sayings and vocabulary, but we all seem to be in kind of the same spot.  Plus, my teacher knows English.

Overall, I think it will be a better learning experience.  I definitely do better in classes where there are more people.  I'm not the best at languages, despite my French minor, but I would like to learn and be able to feel comfortable engaging in basic conversations. Mike has a copy of Harry Potter in Turkish and I'd like to be able to read that by the time we leave.

I'll keep ya posted!

On another note, since it's November, I've been trying to think of ways to be thankful for things.  I've seen a few people on Facebook start posting one thing they're thankful for as their status.  I like seeing these types of things sometimes, but sometimes they get to be a little too much.  That being said, I'm going to try and do something similar here.  I'll try to keep it fun and a little unique.

November 1st: I'm thankful for democracy and for our government.
November 2nd: I'm thankful for Turkey not changing back the clocks.  We were able to watch the end of the World Series before we left for Turkish lessons.  Congratulations KC Royals!
November 3rd: I'm thankful for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, which we have a constant stash of in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment