Wednesday, January 25, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge

If you want to see the updated list with all of the books I've read thus far, click here!

Mike's sister, Kelly, is doing the Popsugar reading challenge for 2017, which had 40 books to read in 2017.  I really liked the challenge, but the more I thought about it, 40 books was seeming a little daunting, so I set a goal of 30 books this year, which is definitely doable.  I know I could read more if I really pushed myself, but I'm not sure what life will look like after the baby arrives, so I wanted to allow a little wiggle room.  I found this reading challenge which has 26 books, so I have room for 4 extras that I just want to read for fun. Sounds like just the right fit for me!  I've tried to kind of plan out what books to read for each challenge, based on books that have been on my to-read list or books that have been recommended to me.

The 26-book 2017 reading challenge

  1. A book you read in school Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
  2. A book from your childhood Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
  3. A book published in the last year The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse
  4. A non-fiction book The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector's Story by Hyeonseo Lee 
  5. A book written by a male author Learn Me Good by John Pearson
  6. A book written by a female author Glory over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (I loved The Kitchen House so I'm excited for this one!)
  7. A book by someone who isn’t a writer (think Paul Kalathani or Richard Branson)
  8. A book that became/is becoming a film: I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (January)
  9. A book published in the 20th Century The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (I was supposed to read this in high school and couldn't get into it, but I want to give it a second chance because everyone raves about it)
  10. A book with a number in the title  The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman 
  11. A book you can finish in a day For the Love by Jen Hatmaker (January)- It took me two days, but it's definitely doable in a day.  It's short, easy to read and she's funny at times.  It was definitely out of my comfort zone and sometimes got a little too preach-y for my taste, but a good, quick read. 
  12. A previously banned book Catcher and the Rye by JD Salinger
  13. A memoir or journal 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny by Phillip Done
  14. A book set somewhere you’ll be visiting this year TBD
  15. An award-winning book The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  16. A self-published book
  17. A book published over 100 years ago
  18. A book written by someone younger than you
  19. A book with a one-word title
  20. A book translated from another language
  21. A book that will improve a specific area of your life
  22. A book with a character with your first name
  23. A book someone else recommended to you
  24. A book with over 500 pages
  25. A book set in your hometown/region
  26. A book with someone’s name in the title


If you have any suggestions, especially for the ones that I don't have books for, let me know! I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment