Sunday, April 1, 2018

Day Two: Lexington, KY

Day two was another long day of driving, but it brought us to Lexington, KY which were both excited about (for different reasons).  Mike wanted to do some bourbon tasting but I wanted to get my horse fix! 
 

On the way to Lexington, we passed through Lewisburg where Camp Alleghany for Girls is! I spent many a summer there and the sign never ceases to get me a little excited!

Once we arrived in Lexington, we checked in to the hotel and the boys napped while I went to the Kentucky Horse Farm!  It was a beautiful day outside and I was in heaven!




When I win a million dollars, this is what my farm is going to look like :)




There was a whole barn of "ordinary" horses that people keep at there.  Lucky horses!




The Big Barn is where all of the big horses like the Clydesdales live

Cleanest barn I've ever seen!


The Hall of Champions was small, but it's where all the famous horses live. 




I can now say that I have touched and pet a Triple Crown winner!
 


I found this as I was walking out of the Hall of Champions and it made me pause. I remember watching the Preakness where Barbaro was injured and later had to be put down due to his injuries.  I think this was the event that made me look more into horse racing and the ethics behind it.  I encourage you all to read up on it as well because it changed my opinion about the sport.


Amen!



After a few hours at the horse farm, I knew I should head back because Mike would be itching to taste some bourbon.  We got back in the car and headed to this cool little area that had a craft bourbon bar, a pizza restaurant, an ice cream shop and a brewery all in one little square.  It was a little too cold to sit outside, but I could see how it would be a cool place to hang in the summer.  Mike tasted some bourbon, we got some ice cream (mine was bourbon flavored!!), we ate some pizza and hung out at the brewery for a bit before calling it a night.  


Lexington was a great second day of the trip. Mike wanted to do more bourbon tasting, but most of the distilleries were actually 25+ miles outside of the city.  That being said, if you are a horse enthusiast, I say add Lexington to your bucket list!











No comments:

Post a Comment